- Museum Accession No.: EA1978.760
- Catalogue No.: 14
- Object type: Jar
- Kiln/Location: Blue-and-white, Arita
- Period/Date: 1660-80
- Dimensions: H. 17.4 cm, D. 13.1 cm
- Provenance: Reitlinger gift
- Description: Ovoid jar. Short, straight-sided neck. Underglaze blue. Transitional style decoration. On body, a landscape with rocks, pine trees and plantain, two figures carrying a banner and two seated among rocks under a tree. The main decoration enclosed by two double lines; on the neck, a band of simple square ornament. The flattened cushion lid, typical of this shape, is missing.
The shape is quite common in Chinese Transitional wares; see, e.g., Reitlinger catalogue (Ashmolean, 1981), nos. 58,61.
- Similar Example: