- Museum Accession No.: EA1978.720
- Catalogue No.: 132
- Object type: Plate
- Kiln/Location: Blue-and-white, Arita
- Period/Date: mid-18th century
- Dimensions: H. 2.7 cm, D. 19.4 cm; Square with cursive fuku mark
- Provenance: Reitlinger gift
- Description: Plate. Flat everted rim. Underglaze blue decoration. In the well, pomegranates on rocks surrounded by a band of peony scroll. On the rim, a band of floral motif. On the reverse, three floral sprays within two lines, two lines around the foot, one within.
The delicacy of execution and design suggests that this may well have been made by a kiln competing with the Kakiemon, possibly but by no means necessarily, for the domestic market. For comparable dishes, see Kyushu Ceramic Museum, Shibata, II, 1991, nos. 341, 345.
- Similar Example: